Saturday, September 4, 2010

Julie d'Aubigny: A Suggestion to Kate Beaton

A few hours ago I wrote an email to Kate Beaton, the author of my favorite web comics, suggesting that she write a strip about Julie d'Aubigny -- more often (which is unquestionably not a word) known as La Maupin.

Julie d'Aubigny, as I explained, was some sort of real-life cross between Inigo Montoya, Ziggy Stardust, Xena, and Lord Byron. Apparently she was some sort of swashbuckling pansexual diva -- she ran about seventeenth century France winning duels, cross-dressing, scoring with everyone, setting convents on fire, and being a musical prodigy (she was literally a diva; she starred in several operas and even had some written about her). She had the most amazingly adventurous life ever, and was brilliant at absolutely everything she did. I highly recommend reading a biography about her. Were I given the chance to live the life of any historical figure, I would choose her in a heartbeat.

In any case, I've tried writing comics about d'Aubigny before, but they have never been quite satisfactory. Given that Kate Beaton's comics are almost always hilarious takes on various historical characters, I think one about d'Aubigny is quite overdue. It would also probably renew some interest in her; I've never met anyone else who recognized her name, and that's a damn pity. Everyone I've described her to has always been fascinated and impressed.

So. We'll see how this goes. I hope Ms. Beaton takes an interest!

And now, a bonus round of Kate Beaton comics:
Theodore Roosevelt Mary ShelleyDr. Watson

1 comment: